Rapidocs LawDraft

Licence for an employee to occupy residential accommodation

This is a licence for an employee to occupy property owned by their employer on the basis that it is necessary for the employee to live in the property for the better performance of their duties. If this basis cannot be established then the employee will have a tenancy agreement and not a licence.

If an employer has a lease for the property (usually associated with ownership of flats) or is renting the property from a third party, then it should check if it needs permission from the landlord before granting this licence.

If the property is in England and the employee will have other adults living with them (such as their family), you should check whether those individuals have a legal right to live in the UK (known as 'the right to rent').

This document is suitable for use in England, Wales and Northern Ireland only.

Compatible region(s)::
  • Version: 12082.4.24
  • Last updated: 26 Mar 2021